Stage 1: Information Collection/Restricted Persons/Parties (RPS) Screening, Instrument Selection and Document Preparation

  1. The faculty/staff member completes and submits the Information Collection Form (IC Form). The Office of Global Partnerships (OGP) and the respective Global Academic Committee (GAC) representative will then review the form.  
  2. OGP will search the global linkages database for existing agreements and conduct a Restricted Party Search (RPS). OGP, in consultation with the GAC representative, will help the faculty member determine the necessity and/or desirability of the proposed agreement and the best instrument for that agreement given the proposed scope. As appropriate, the Head of Department/School and College/School may also be consulted during this stage.
  3. If it is determined that the agreement is not necessary, the responsible faculty/staff member will inform the overseas contact. Otherwise, if a standard template LOI or MOU is being pursued, Sponsored Program Services (SPS) will assign the processing of the case (in the COEUS database) to OGP. Otherwise, if non-standard or an Activity Agreement, SPS will assign a contract analyst to the negotiation. 

Stage 2: Document Review, Clearance, and Signing

  1. After completing all steps in Stage 1, if a standard template LOI or MOU is being pursued, OGP will provide a draft agreement to the faculty/staff member and GAC member if one has not already been provided.
  2. If the partner institution insists on using its own template or an Activity Agreement is being pursued, the faculty/staff member should review the international partner’s suggested agreement for content and ensure they are in agreement with the proposed collaborations before forwarding a draft to the assigned analyst, OGP and the GAC representative for review, or in the case when no agreement is provided, SPS will draft the agreement and then provide a copy for the faculty/staff member, OGP and the GAC representative for review and approval.
  3. Once all Purdue parties mentioned in steps 1 or 2 have “cleared” the document, the faculty/staff member may send the document directly to the overseas partner/authorized signatories, or, if requested, OGP/SPS may conduct this step if the faculty/staff member prefers.
  4. Signature authority: For Purdue, all MOUs must be signed by the Chief Officer for Corporate and Global Partnerships; all Activity Agreements must be signed by the Chief Officer for Corporate and Global Partnerships and the Senior Director for Sponsored Program Services (dual-degree graduate program agreements must also be signed by the Provost and the Dean and Associate Dean of the graduate school for master's/PhD). For a Letter of Intent (LOI), Department Head, Dean, Provost, Center Director, or their designee are allowed to sign for Purdue. (In exceptional circumstances, if no language is changed from the template and the RPS has been approved then the LOI is the only international agreement that can be signed without explicit written approval of OGP and the GAC representative). 

Note: Purdue’s President does not routinely sign international partnership documents. When the president does sign, or in special circumstances when others are designated as signers for ceremonial purposes, a separate signature page is later attached to the document with the signatures of the authorized signatories.

Stage 3: Record Keeping

Once any of the three instruments is signed, the faculty/staff member should send an original and/or scanned copy to the international partner (as per the partner's preference) and a scanned copy to OGP (and SPS, when nontemplate or Activity Agreement). Ultimately, all agreements are recorded in both the global linkages database and the COEUS database. OGP is responsible for ensuring that all agreements are recorded in the global linkages database and that template agreements are recorded in COEUS while SPS records non-template agreements and Activity Agreements in COEUS.

* For steps on drafting and approving Student Exchange Agreements, refer to Exchange Partners

Note:  At Purdue, an “Exchange Student” is typically an undergraduate student who changes registration status and pays their tuition and fees at their home institution in order to enroll as a non-degree student at the host institution as part of a reciprocal agreement between institutions.

Purdue University, 1201 West State Street, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-9095

© 2019 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by Office of Corporate and Global Partnerships

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact Office of Corporate and Global Partnerships at